Thursday, December 9, 2010

Nyx: Empress of the Night (image)


This is a quick little thing I did.  I've been studying Greek mythology as of late and have become fascinated with the wide variety of legends.  Since I have also been wanting to play with contrast, I decided to do a little picture of the Greek personification of the night, Nyx.

This picture is COMPLETELY original in content and copyrighted by me, so no stealing!  

I had a lot of fun doing the eyes.  Originally, they were going to be pure black, but after finishing the rest of the image, I decided that if the eyes were going to pop, they needed to have contrast.  I settled on iridescent white, similar to the stars that surround her.  And let me tell you, those stars took forever! 

Another area that I would like to point out is her headdress. Like one of my other recent images, Ice Princess,  Nyx: Empress of the Night uses several different brush patterns, two of the most prominent being a fade out circle and a small leopard spot pattern.  I used the circle to make a large, white star in her hair and then overlayed it with black to created an almost eclipsed effect.  The leopard pattern was used to create the rest of the headdress.

Finally, we come to the background, which I think is rather awesome.  I planned it to be abstract, using a dark silver base, but I found that a night sky effect was much more interesting.  I then stretched the stars to fall into her clothing and hair as well.

Anyway, hope you like it!  I would also like to say that I have finished writing and revising the second chapter of The Gift of the Outcast so I should post that soon.  I just have to get through the grueling process of reformatting. 


Peace!

KobaltWolf

No comments:

Post a Comment