Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Traditional Art: Blonde Girl (watercolor)



I finally figured out a way to post my offline work online.  Just snap a photo and stick it in the card reader!  Piece o' cake.  However, promptly after snapping a few shots, my camera died, and I can't find the battery pack. :'(

I can't say this is my best work.  I've done much better.  Her neck is too wide and her facial muscles aren't defined enough.  The main reason I posted this was because of the background.  It is my first time using the technique for a portrait, but I believe it turned out rather well

Since this is my first time posting offline work, I will inform you that every time I post work, I will add a special technique, tip, or mistake that occurred in the making of the piece.  Watercolor is my preferred medium, and I adore it with a passion.  I have been painting watercolor for five years now, and I have improved vastly.  Every once in a while, I might upload older work and give a few tips on what went wrong and how one could improve it.


Special Techniques:

The drip technique, as I have dubbed it, is a technique employing wet-on-wet.  
 - First, make sure to mix all your colors before hand.  The water will dry if you mix after wetting the paper!  
 - After mixing your colors, use the wet-on-wet technique and spread water all over the background.  
 - Next, tilt your canvas upwards.  Make sure to have a paper-towel or other blotting substance ready in case any water drips across your focus.  
 - Then, pick up some pigment with your brush (preferably a square or flat type) and press the brush lightly across the top of the paper.  If you are performing the technique correctly, the pigment will blossom out in to water and rapidly drip down the canvas.  
 - This is where your blotting substance comes in!  Keep a close eye on your focus because it is very easy for the pigment to run across the focus and ruin the picture.  Keep the canvas tilted upwards with one hand, and use the other hand to blot where needed.  
 - Once the pigment has dripped enough for your taste, simply lay the image flat and let it dry.  Do NOT use a hairdryer, because the pigment will move all around and ruin the dripping effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment